Video of the Zoom meeting, and the slides are available below.
Channel 7 News sent a crew out to Ore Lake today (August 30th) to do a report on the flooding we’ve been experiencing. The report ran on the 5 PM, 6 PM, and 7 PM newscasts. If you missed it, you can watch it on YouTube.
Great job representing our community by Amber, Diane, and Kerry!
Here is the GIS presentation that was mentioned during the meeting today – Ore Lake Watershed – Development & Wetlands Between 2000-2021 – YouTube
Save the date! Our next organization meeting will be in person on Saturday, August 26th at 10:00am on the patio of the Hamburg Senior Center!
As a heads up, the river clean-up has been moved to August. The date is not yet determined. More to come on that. Have a great weekend folks and stay dry!
We are having our first organization meeting of 2023 on Tuesday (4/18) at 7:30 pm. Our partner hydrologist, Dr. Wendy Robertson, will join us to discuss the data collected from S. Ore Creek and Dibrova Creek last year, and what that will mean moving into this next season. We will also share other updates and what we’ve been working on during the winter months. Here is the Zoom link: https://oakland-edu.zoom.us/j/8790256520 Looking forward to seeing many of you!
You can find out more about the $150,000 USACE flood inundation study during today’s interview with Mike and Jon! Thanks to Hamburg Township and Green Oak Township for supporting this effort.
We were informed yesterday of a hexavalent chromium spill in the Huron River watershed near Wixom. Currently, the avoid-contact warnings are for North Wixom Road in Oakland County to Kensington Road in Livingston. Further testing is occurring throughout the Huron River in the coming days. We will update you with more information as we hear more. Stay safe!
More information and news sources –
- EGLE statement – https://www.michigan.gov/egle/newsroom/press-releases/2022/08/02/huron-river
- WHMI – https://www.whmi.com/news/article/tribar-manufacturing-chemical-spill-huron-river
- MLive – https://www.mlive.com/public-interest/2022/08/no-contact-with-huron-river-advised-after-toxic-chemical-release.html
- Channel 2 news – https://www.fox2detroit.com/news/residents-urged-to-avoid-huron-river-after-chemical-spill-in-watershed
- Detroit Free Press – https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2022/08/02/huron-river-warning-hexavalent-chromium-carcinogen/10217976002/
Today was an exciting day because we kicked off a U. S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) flood inundation study upstream of Ore Lake! This is in collaboration with Hamburg Township and Green Oak Township. More about the meeting later this week and during our next association meeting in-person on Saturday, August 20th at 10am!