We were informed yesterday of a hexavalent chromium spill in the Huron River watershed near Wixom. Currently, the avoid-contact warnings are for North Wixom Road in Oakland County to Kensington Road in Livingston. Further testing is occurring throughout the Huron River in the coming days. We will update you with more information as we hear more. Stay safe!
More information and news sources –
- EGLE statement – https://www.michigan.gov/egle/newsroom/press-releases/2022/08/02/huron-river
- WHMI – https://www.whmi.com/news/article/tribar-manufacturing-chemical-spill-huron-river
- MLive – https://www.mlive.com/public-interest/2022/08/no-contact-with-huron-river-advised-after-toxic-chemical-release.html
- Channel 2 news – https://www.fox2detroit.com/news/residents-urged-to-avoid-huron-river-after-chemical-spill-in-watershed
- Detroit Free Press – https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2022/08/02/huron-river-warning-hexavalent-chromium-carcinogen/10217976002/